Monday, July 6, 2009

Spring 2009

March came in like a lamb and went out like a lion, But overall we had a great spring. I was able to get my garden tilled early but then had to wait for it to quit raining long enough to plant. I did get my potatoesa in early and we are now enjoying potatoes from our garden. I picked enough green beans that we had green beans and new potatoes for the 4th of July. I had a problem keeping ahead of the weeds due to trhe weather, but am now keeping them under control, Had a great Memorial Day weekend. Kathy and Kent came in on Friday and stayed a couple of days. My 80th birthday was the 26th so we celebrated during the weekend. K & K gave me a gift card to Home depot & Lane sent me one to LL Bean. Had phone calls from everyone plus lots of best wishes on facebook. Marsha & Scott got me on of those traveling sprinklers. It works great. I just lay the hose down & put the guide wheel on the hose & turn the water on, It follows the water hose & waters the lawn as it moves. Due to all of the rain this spring I have had to mow the lawn at least once a week. I just mowed it today for the 4th time. Sure am thankful for a good riding mower. June 30th was Iva's 78th birthday. We didn't do anything special. I had ordered her a Kindle DX from Amazon. It arrived early, so by the time her birthday arrived she had already downloaded several books & is really enjoying it. For those of you who do not know what a Kindle DX is check it out on www.amazon.com. A couple of weeks ago I looked out our patio door & saw a deer in our front yard. She just wandered around like she was looking the place over. We saw her again the next day in the cornfield that is west of us. We have lots of birds at our feeders & like to sit here & watch them. The other night we had a whirlwind go through our trees & it dislodged a robin's nest. The next morning it was on the ground along with 4 baby birds. The mother robin fed one of them until it was able to hunt for its own food. I don't know what happened to the other 3. I didn't see any sign of them when I mowed that area today. Robin was here for part of the weekend. She had her grandson (zamen) with her. He is 2 1/2 & is quite a handful. I took him for a ride on the mower & he liked that, but he kept turning the engine of & then didn't know why it stopped running. The first 2 weeks of summer have been pretty nice, not to hot in the daytime & cool at night. I think that will change next week though. I expect to see some triple didit temperatures before we get through this summer. We have had 2 more greats added to our family. Both boys & both born in June. About a week apart. We also added another granddaughter with Lane & Karla's adoption on a little Chinese girl. So our family just keeps growing. Melody is expecting & Chad & Sarah are getting married when he comes back fro Afganhastan. I am about to run out of space so will have to close for now. May all who read this be blessed of God & enjoy the riches of His blessings. Gramps C

1 comment:

Chip Burkitt said...

I think you've had more rain down there than we've had up here. Great to hear from you.