Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Winter on the plains

Winter has come to the plains of Nebraska, and to the rest of the country as well. We haven't had the snow that Chip and Chelly have had, but we have had wind and sub zero temperatures. I don't venture outside any more than I have to. I also don't stay out any longer than I need to. A lot has happened since I last wrote any news. Another granddaughter was added to our family last year and there will be at least 2 more grandchildren this year. My garden supplied us with lots of tomatoes, potatoes,sweet potatoes and a few green beans. Marsha supplied us with enough sweetcorn so that we were able to put some in the freezer. There is nothing quite so satisfying as setting down to a table and eating food that you have grown. We were looking at the seed catalogs yesterday to decide what we will be growing this year. During the cold winter days we spend a lot of time reading. Central City has a good library and we take advantage of it. I visit it about every 2 weeks and we uaually manage to read 5 or 6 books in that length of time. I hope that you have Rebecca's blog on your computer. Her stories about her time in Africa and the time that the choir was here in Nebraska are really good. She has a way with words that is truly a gift from God. I just read her latest entry and am truly amazed at what she has to say. Lane is in Toronto this week and will be going to Shanghi. The client that he is worling for has plants in Totonto, Shanghi and Luxembourg. He will be viaitig all 3 plants during the next 2 weeks. He is hoping that he will be able to be home the weekend of the 24th. I suppose that everyone is healthy and busy. Robin calls almost everyday and Lani usually calls on a weekly basis. Mark, Amy and kids visited after Christmas. David was home over the holidays and wanted to visit. He is considering going back to collage and getting an engieering degree, which we encouraged him to do. We are always happy to hear from our children and grandchildren. It is time to close this letter, so I will say goodnight and May god's richest blessings be yours. Dad/Gramps

No comments: